Friday, December 9, 2011

All I Want For Christmas Is... A NEW F**KING SONG!!!!

That's right. I said it.

If you know me well enough, you know that I am not a fan of Christmas music. Every year, people get so excited whenever Christmas music starts playing on the radio (my own mother included). They play it nonstop here on the Oldies radio station in the Boston area from Black Friday all the way until the New Year. Think about that: All day, nonstop, Christmas music. Not only will you most definitely hear the same song more that once in the entire Christmas season, but you will also definitely hear the same song more that once or twice in a single day. Do you want to know why that happens?

It is because NO ONE has written a new Christmas song in 20 years! I'm sorry, I love Bruce Springsteen, but there is only so many times I can hear him sing Santa Claus Is Coming To Town before I want to blow my fucking brains out. Now, when I say no one has written a new Christmas song, I immediately exclude a one Maria Carey. She wrote the now famous song, "All I Want For Christmas Is You." Kudos to you, Maria. But that was probably 15 to 20 years ago now. That was also only one damn song. Where is everyone else? Even that song has become old and overplayed on the radio. As for the rest of the Christmas season, you might hear the same song 4 or 5 times in one car ride.

Now, I am not saying that the songs are not good songs, but the same songs have been redone by about 5 to 10 different artists over the past century. I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if Gene Autry is singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or the fucking Jonas Brothers, it is still the same damn song!

All I'm saying is that today's top artists should all get together and write a whole new Christmas album with all new Christmas songs that they wrote themselves. Then, the following year, they do the same thing. I don't care. It can be about anything. It could even be a terrible song. Just the fact that someone is actually trying to make change in the STUPID Christmas music industry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment